- The Wedgewood Staff uses the Positive Behavior Support Program (PBS) in order to foster students' responsibility for their education and behavior. Our PTA supports PBS by providing funds and manpower for special monthly rewards.
- Special education services are provided based on individual student need and foster inclusion in the general curriculum as appropriate. Struggling students have additional opportunities for support through reading resource, mentoring, tutoring, intervention classes, and guidance.
- The curriculum is designed to ensure that all students meet / exceed state standards in all subject areas.
- The Wedgewood staff implements a daily 90 minute literacy block that offers students a diverse approach to reading and text-based writing. The use of our comprehensive classroom libraries fosters a love of reading and improves student fluency.
- Wedgewood Elementary implements the Louisiana State Standards. The math curriculum is based on investigative mathematical practices and is used at all grade levels. Students learn multiple methods for problem solving; use manipulatives to facilitate understanding of numbers, operations and computation; and work cooperatively, communicating mathematically.
- Science and Social Studies lessons at all grade levels are presented using the district adopted textbooks and the Louisiana Department of Education instructional resources. Our Staff implements a schoolwide graphic organizer to maintain consistency and develop students' writing skills beginning in Pre-Kindergarten through fifth grade.
- Comprehensive staff professional development and book studies are on-going to ensure that teachers and support staff continue to use best practices.